Now that the holidays are upon us and the hustle and bustle has begun, it is sometimes easy to forget criminals are always looking for ways to take advantage of unexpecting victims. To avoid becoming an easy target, INTEGRITY recommends following these simple safety tips to help keep yourself and your family safe throughout the holiday season.
• Before heading out to the malls, have a plan as to where you need to go and map out your stops. Knowing where your going will not only help with time management, but will help you stay focused and on course to finish your holiday shopping.
• Finding a good parking spot during the holidays can be a daunting task, but bring your patience and try to park as close as you can to the store’s entrance. If you cannot secure a close parking spot, be sure to write down the aisle number where you park or use your smart phone to take a picture of your vehicle’s location.
• Keeping your credit/ debit card information and PIN numbers secure is vital to avoid becoming a possible victim of identity theft. When making purchases with credit or debit, make sure you never leave your card unattended at the register and always try to conceal when entering a PIN number. This will help in preventing unassuming thieves who may be around you from stealing your information.
• Holiday shopping can be exhausting and for many of us, we enjoy taking a break by grabbing a bite to eat in a food court or restaurant. Remember to always place packages in eye’s view or at your feet underneath the table. Placing packages behind a chair or out of view can be an easy steal for a criminal. And, purses should always be kept on your lap or securely placed at your side and never hung on the back of a chair.
• When returning to the car, always be aware of who is in front and behind you. Make sure you recall where you parked your car prior to exiting the mall. And always have your keys in hand, ready to unlock your vehicle.
• When approaching your vehicle, always look on all sides and underneath it. If anything or anyone looks suspicious around your car, head back into the mall and contact security.
• Packages should always be placed in the trunk and out of view to avoid “smash and grabs”.
INTEGRITY hopes these safety tips will keep you and your loved ones safe.
From all of us at INTEGRITY, we wish you a Wonderful Holiday Season!
Beth Sawinski | Director | Client Relations